Road Civil Cemetery contains two Commonwealth War Graves maintained
cemeteries within it plus the grave of Sir Henry Gurney the High
Commissioner for Federated Malaya from 1948 until he was assassinated
Cemetery is situated south of Kuala Lumpur, to the left of Cheras Highway
toll gates. Entry can be can be from one of several directions but normally
it is found that it can be reached by turning left into Jalan Kuari immediately
after the toll gates, approximately 4 miles from central Kuala Lumpur.
Crossing the car park, follow the top left hand lane to the end, thus
reaching the Commonwealth Cemetery gate. The Commonwealth Cemetery is
enclosed by a fence planted with climbers and hedges and backs onto the
new highway. Our visit found us leave the highway just after a petrol
service station onto a short track which then arrived at a divided junction,
we turned left, keeping the highway to our right, and about 100m along
the track the cemetery could be seen above us.
the time of the Japanese invasion of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur was the headquarters
of the 3rd Indian Corps. Early in 1941 part of the recently raised 8th
Division of the Australian Infantry Force was assigned to Malaya, a territory
of strategic importance to Australia. The headquarters divisional staff
arrived on February 18th in advance of the main force, which numbered
some 6,000 men, and the divisional headquarters and attached units were
posted at Kuala Lumpur. As the Japanese moved successfully down the peninsula
a temporary prisoner-of-war camp was established at Pudu jail, to which
United Kingdom and Commonwealth serviceman were taken before being sent
to Changi Camp on Singapore island. Some of them died, of wounds or sickness,
while in this camp and were buried in the Cheras Road Cemetery.
are 137 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war here. In addition, there
are over 600 non world war burials of servicemen and dependants here,
5 being unidentified children of Gurkha soldiers, mainly from the Malayan
emergency. There are 649 graves under the care of the CWGC. The earliest
grave is 1875 followed by 1914 through the 1930's into World War 2 and
then up to and including the Emergency.
is also a Roman Catholic Cemetery which is is a separate plot within Cheras
Road Civil Cemetery (no photographs as yet). The Roman Catholic Cemetery
is on high ground to the right, and will be found by crossing the car
park and following the central, narrow tarmac road to the end. The Commonwealth
war graves are to the left, just before the Chapel. There are 11 Commonwealth
burials of the 1939-1945 war buried here and also there are a further
11 non world war Service burials; a total of 22 graves.
taken from the Commonwealth
War Graves Commission website]
here are copyright © Martin Edwards & Marie Edwards 2007