descriptive plaque reads:
Norfolk's first aerodrome was opened in Narborough parish in August
1915. Just over a mile from this spot. It grew in size to become the
largest all-aircraft aerodrome in Britain during the Fiirst World War
- only four airship stations covered a larger area.
opened initially as a night landing ground for the Royal Naval Air Service,
but soon developed into a Royal Flying Corps Training Station. In April
1918 the aerodrome was trasnferred to the newly formed Royal Air Force,
and at the signing of the Armistice nearly a thousand service men and
women were based threre. In it's short history. Personnel included british
and American Air and Ground Crews, Members of the Womens Auxiliary Air
Corps (later, the Womens Royal Air Force) and German Prisoners of War.
W. E. Johns and Alan Cobham Webb were two of a number of well known
personalities who were stationed there.
one squadrons served at narborough, two squadrons, Nos. 59 and 121,
formed at the station, eleven were training or reserve squadrons, and
two, No. 35 and No. 83 were front line squadrons. In addition there
were three American aero squadrons, and after the war ended, three returning
large number of aircraft typesd were in servic3e, ranging from the early
Avro 504s, to the FE2Bs, DH9s and RE8s, Sopwith camels' and Snipes.
airfield closed in 1919 and the land returned to Agriculture.
Local History Society 1996